Poems for a broken world

Everyday

Eating war for breakfast
Making tea
Doomscrolling and liking and hearting destruction
Making the bed
Becoming eloquent in violence
Choosing clothes to wear
Dying a little in fragments
Walking to the train station
Living with the options of opting in and out
Waiting in queues
Feeling pain so far away
Buying flowers
Touching tenderness through screens
Greeting the neighbour
Hearing screams at the tip of fingers
Buying bread and milk

In Solidarity

Dear Palestine

You do not need my words

They are glib and empty

But they are all I have for now.

You are in my dreams.


Dear Congo

You do not need my shame

It is useless

My ignorance hollows me out

But I carry it with me anyway.

You are in my prayers.


Dear Sudan

You do not need my sadness

It is a weight that cannot hold a nation

But it is all I have.

You are in my heart.


Dear Azania

You may never exist outside of our songs

Your presence is a promise that we should do better

You are in my spirit.


Dear World

You insist on breaking apart

Leaving nothing behind but tombs.

It is not inevitable: we will swallow ourselves and eviscerate.

But for now, we are here.

Breaking.




Comments

Popular Posts