An almost quiet new year

Yesterday and today were very chilled days.Apart from the stint at Brew Bistro (a club akin to Cubana back home) for the count down and a bit of dancing, the days were very quiet,something I've been longing for.

Yesterday we drove to Lake Naivasha which meant driving through the Rift Valley. The lake isn't spectacular but being outside and hearing the sound of birds, seeing animals-as cheesy as it sounds-was very good. We were chased away from Naivasha by the rain. The drive to the lake also meant driving through small towns (though I don't think of them as towns) with locals selling on the side of the road. The image of what we expect to see while driving through a third world. Natural tourist attractions seem to drive the economy and allow many people in third world countries and they allow tourists some respite from the third world realities that crippled development.
The rift valley


Lake Naivasha

Zack, our guide on the boat ride around the lake





Today I found the Karura Forest. It reminded me of Newlands forest in Cape Town. It's also the forest that Nobel Laureate Dr Wangari Maathai worked to preserve. I found the forest with the help of a boda boda driver, Bonny. A boda boda is a motorcycle that is used as public transport. It's not very safe but I was feeling adventurous. I later discovered that Bonny ripped me off badly. He charged me an exorbitant amount. I didn't hackle, I always feel guilty when I do so I let him exploit me.


I'm going back tomorrow to explore a little more as I realised the week is coming to an end and I will soon be back to my life and get ready for school

Comments

Popular Posts