4th of July


The land of the free
The home of the brave

 4th of July happens in the midst of a heat wave
It happens in the season of images of children in cages
(euphemistically referred to as family separation)
News reporting on the Supreme Court’s jeopardy
And the Muslim ban continues

The land of the free
The home of the brave

I experience the fireworks with a community of misfits and oddballs
We spend 21 days discussing peace and conflict in the world
We represent what the empire  desires and detests:
We rethink the world and refashion the world into a new order
While cocooned in the forest campus in the midst of a world that refuses its humanity

The land of the free
The home of the brave
Picture:  Khanis Suvinita

The fireworks reverberate through my body
Each thunder and burst of light I am reminded of children separated from their mothers.
I struggle with the futility of the celebration in a country being confronted with questions about justice
I grapple with the words which point us towards justice:
(The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice)

The land of the free
The home of the brave

I wonder aloud about mourning
Collective mourning
In a world that willingly grinds a machine which dehumanises

The land of the free
The home of the brave

I wonder about celebration
And nationalism and pride
The warm and fuzzy feelings existing alongside hatred

The land of the free
The home of the brave

I clutch my chest preventing my heart from leaving my body
As the thunder and colour continues to dazzle
I wonder about the sound of bombs and bullets which mirror the sound of the fireworks
Bombs and bullets in Syria, Nigeria, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine; fireworks in New Jersey.

The land of the free
The home of the brave
Picture:  Khanis Suvinita

Yesterday the Drew Institute group gathered for a barbecue to mark America's 'Independence Day'. It's a fraught holiday which marks the American experience. We gathered and spoke about religious freedom and ended the evening by walking to a nearby park to watch the fireworks display. I wrote this poem while trying to reflect on the experience.





Comments

Popular Posts