An ode to rest

Ukuthele.
Ulivila.
Intombazana ayilali emini.
Uyakwazi ukuququzela.
Uyashixiza.

She’s conscientious.
She’s so responsible.
She’ll get it done.
Pick up your feet.
Don’t drag your feet.
Walk briskly.

These are some of the messages I internalized growing up. I grew up with no room for laziness, ubuvila. It was an insult that cut to the core of the kind of girl and woman I want to be.

My first visit at Lalela (I can't remember who took this picture)

Recently I wrote in my journal: I don’t rest enough. I wrestle with compliments about how and why I get things done. A huge part of my identity is about being a person who gets shit done.

Last year I was working on a PhD, I started a podcast, I traveled, I wrote papers, I started an organisation, I hosted a big public event. I was part of lobby groups which meant tv and radio interviews and meetings. That’s just a list of the things I remember. 

I love that I get shit done. But how do I learn to rest? How do I see laziness as a form of kindness? I’ve started to use the word schloomfing as a way of getting into laziness mode. Schloomfing looks like not getting out the house. It looks like not opening my laptop. It looks like lying in bed and enjoying the light streaming into my bedroom. It looks like actively blocking out the world.

The sky at Lalela.

Schloomfing is an effort.

There’s guilt.

My period pains are the only biological condition which force me to stop. But that’s one day a month and it comes with pain. I know that when I do have period pains my body is sending me a message. “Slow down baby you’re going too fast...”

I wrote my first piece post-PhD. My supervisor sent me a cryptic message: 
I see you. 
I asked her what do you mean? 
She said back to writing
I said Oh yes (monkey emoji) I wrote down all the pieces I wanted to do since you banned me from other writing now I'm going back to them.
She said The ink is still wet on the thesis...(wink emoji)
I said (monkey emoji) I know but I'm not good with taking time out (face palm emoji).
She let me be.

In the veldt (Zen Marie)
I spent a weekend in Port Elizabeth and Makhanda with friends recently. I was celebrating a friend's achievement and the weekend became a long weekend with women whom I love and respect deeply. When I arrived in PE I picked up Zora Neale Hurston's Their eyes were watching God and started reading in spite of the fact that I had work to do. I used Zora for work-avoidance. Blasphemy. The rest of the weekend was emails and admin (reluctantly) and some beach and a movie. When my friend dropped me off at the airport on Sunday I said "I haven't laughed this much in a long time". Here's to more rest and laughter.

I started writing this post while lying in bed yesterday. Instead of enjoying that moment, I counted all the things I hadn't done because I woke up a little later than I should have. Should: a damned vocabulary. And now I am completing this while sitting in my friend's room at Lalela; the safest place I've found where I live according to a different rhythm. As soon as I hit the gravel road I have no choice but to slow down.

Lalela: the view from the stoep.
I’m writing this as a confession and a wish. That one day I will embrace the art and pleasure of laziness.

Comments

Sharon Wayne said…
I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.
Anonymous said…
I completely trusted Dr Padman totally from the time I spoke with him during the period my husband Left me after 11 years of our marriage, He started the spell work on my husband, and gave me so much assurance and guaranteed me that he was going to bring my husband back to my life in just 48 hours of the spell casting. I was so confident in his work and just as he said in the beginning, my husband is finally back to me again, yes he is back with all his hearts, Love, care, emotions and flowers and things are better now. I would have no hesitation to recommend this powerful spell caster to anybody who is in need of help .. E-mail; padmanlovespell@yahoo.com orWhatsApp +19492293867 Website: https://padmanspell.com

Popular Posts