Zuihitsu kaMama

Zuihitsu is neither prose poem or essay although it can sometimes resemble both. To 'follow the brush' suggests a certain not-knowing of what will happen, that whatever might result from the process will be down to discovery rather than plan. There is a strong sense in zuihitsu writing that the creation of order depends on disorder. Zuihitsu demands as its starting point, juxtapositions, fragments, contradictions, random materials and pieces of varying lengths.*

Collaborative Poetics Retreat: Picture by Kundai Moyo



I think a lot about what we’ve lost. I think a lot about you.

Every time I see a flower I think about the garden you lost.
I wonder if you ever mourned the loss of your dreams. Or did you silently watch them slip through your fingers nje ngamanzi?

Undiphe ulwimi.
Wandipha amagama.
Everyday they come and go.

Ithini intonga yakho?
A question with no answer unless it came and went in one of those dreams I never remember.

I’ve grown impatient with you.
I’m tired of being your daughter.
Being your daughter has meant mourning you usaphila.

There’s a picture of you driving your first car.
A blue Chevvie you named Judy.
The picture is a car full of wild women dressed up with wild wonder and laughter.
What happened to those women?
What happened to you?
Do you even recognise that picture?
It is a myth.

You were one of the few to first own a car eMdanstane. But when you finally convinced Tata to let you drive his car I was afraid.
My fear was a self-fulfilled prophecy.
You didn’t last a block. You went back to the passenger’s seat.

I’ve watched you closely. Searching for you. Hoping you’ll emerge out of your armpit and live again.

I’ve lived on fears you breastfed. The spoonful of fear you mixed into the black sugarless tea on the long days of hunger.
The dreams evaporated with the steam from the boiling water you kept on the heater to keep us warm.
Your dreams disappeared with the water:
Indubela
Amanzi olwandle
Iinyembezi

All I have left are fragments of you.
Amaculo
Amalaphu
Iintsimbi
I have lost the desire to have a full picture of you.
I have lost the desire to know you.

Will I pass on these fragments to my imaginary children?
What will be their inheritance?
Uncried tears
Unscreamed screams
Unlaughed laughs
Unlived life

I’ve learned to rely on the whispers in the wind in order to survive.
I’ve learned the power in my hands so I’ve been disentangling myself from you through pen and paper.
I’ve learned to rely on the movement in the clouds:
To watch for rain
To learn new directions
To see the potential of freedom

I still think of you when I hear ińgańgane before the rains.
But sometimes it doesn’t rain.

I’ve learned to love the rain anew.
I kissed a lover in the rain.
I can listen to the torrents of water without being tormented by the memory of what we lost in the rain.

Undenze ndaphanga ubude.
Ndaphanga. Ndabindwa.
Ngoku ndizipholisa ngokusela amanzi.

I will never stop writing to you.
For you.
About you.
I know I cannot undaughter you in the same way you will never unmother me.
You are my inheritance.

*I wrote this piece last month at a Collaborative Poetics retreat at Lalela hosted by Refilwe Nkomo and Kathy Engel. This extract is from a handout Kathy shared explaining zuihitsu from Kimiko Hahn.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this sisi. Nam ndiyimbhongi kodwa ke ndiyeyosiba mna.
This is my resent work.

Siphelo Sesiphelo

Qhinga longendawo,
Ntsunguzi engasayi kubona kukhanya
Qhina elabotshwa ekuqalekeni ze
lanikwa igunya lokuthatha linganikwanga
Mgibe wamalungisa naboni
Siphelo sendlela ende yobomi
Ndlu-nkulu yokuphumla yamagorha
noongantweni
Sisi esimfamekisa izazi, sidukudelis’oosiyazi
Siphelo sesiphelo nelakho ingcwaba lineekona
ezine, linzulu libanzi.
#Aninomazi
Anonymous said…
This is my email should you wish to contact me.
phinzip@gmail.com
Sharon Wayne said…
I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.
Sandra said…
I'm Sandra form, USA After 7years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California last month to be with another woman, I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again, i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart every night, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband, Every time i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Fayosa can help get ex back fast So, I felt I should give him a try, I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it all then he did a Love spell for me, 48hours later just as Dr Fayosa said my husband called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing that he said he will come back home the next day, with lots of love and joy and he apologized for his mistake and for the pain he caused me and the kids, Then from that day our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Fayosa he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Fayosa is real powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now Here’s his contact Text or call Dr Fayosa With (Fayosasolusionhome@gmail.com) or directly on whatssapp +2348151918774, thank you so much Dr Fayosa
michelle said…
My name is Michelle Simone
Have you heard of GREAT ATAKPO (greatatakpospelltemple@gmail.com)? This man is a genius, he can do anything with his miraculous spell.

My boyfriend was abusive and was a cheat, I love him so much and didn't want to loose him to another so I started searching for help online when I came across testimonies of people thanking and praising GREAT ATAKPO for his help so I contact him immediately, I told him my situation and he promised to help me. I did just as he instructed me and everything about my boyfriend cheating habit and abusive behavior changed for better, he is so lovely and caring now. I'm so proud of GREAT ATAKPO.
If you need a powerful spell caster to help you get back your Ex Husband or your Ex Wife or Your Ex Boyfriend or Your Ex Girlfriend please contact GREAT ATAKPO via e-mail:(greatatakpospelltemple@gmail.com)

Popular Posts