Imfundiso yokuzixolela (lessons in forgiving myself)

On 18 August a box full of books arrived and changed my life forever (incidentially 18 August was also the birthday yabatshana bam who turned 11 and 17). In the box were two books zesiXhosa: Unam Wena by Mthunzikazi Mbungwana and Ilifa by me (published by Uhlanga Press). Yes, I published a book of poems ngesiXhosa. Nothing could have prepared me for the mixed emotions of imincili (excitement) and iinevs (anxiety). It was finally done. The book would be getting to people's hands and taking on a life of its own. I kept the moment to myself barring a short video which I've been sharing slowly with friends and family: zifikile iincwadi!

The vulnerability of writing and sharing poetry has always had a different texture from sharing prose writing. As an academic I am less precious about my other writing. I have a pretty good handle on it; by and large I do it well; I have been told I write well. I have written thousands and thousands of words. But poetry. That's different. It has a different texture. It comes from a different place whereas my academic writing emerges from a cerebral place. So why share poetry? A friend once called me a closeted poet when I shared one of the poems which has made it into the collection: "Zithuthe" but has been published as "Coconut". And now here we are: many yeas later and I am no longer a closeted poet.

The collection is a dedication to my grandmother: Vuyelwa Gladys Mashologu. She is on the cover of this collection: my first book. There are poems which have been inspired by memories of her as well as many of my mothers who have held me throughout my life. Many of the poems are meditations on what it means to be a woman in this world. Umyalelo wentombi is the first section of the collection where most of these poems are. Two of the poems are dedicated to the memory of 9 August 1956 which I first published in Kauve: The Women's March to Pretoria in 1956: "Oomama bomthandazo" and "Incoko" which were a response to images of the women's march. 

In order to locate them in this new book I decided to add the date underneath the title in order to add more context. Imagine my shock and horror when I read the book anew this morning and noticed that the date says 9 August 1954 instead of 1956 (my mother was born 1954). Luckily I was sitting outside by the beach and I had a good scream at myself. Oko ndizingxolisa. I can't unsee nor undo the error. There is no excuse for this error. The book went though numerous rounds of editing and reading from a variety of people. None of us picked it up. Amehlo ayadinwa.

So I thought let me write about here: ndizixele, ndizixolele. It's a typo which may communicate a carelessness to dates. But it's also a big humble pie for me: a whole historian whose job it is to care about dates. And somehow I got this one wrong. In my first book nogal. Me: who writes about people's "historically dubious" readings of history, got the date wrong for one of the most important dates in this country's political history. 

I expected that there would be typos (there are other typos). That's part of the process. Since Wednesday I have been going through the book reluctantly because I can't seem to read it uncritically. I feel like the error with the date is a wink from the past: a hard lesson on grace and accepting mistakes that I can do nothing about. Mistakes that have the potential of being the butt of every joke: the literary historian cum poet cum public spokesperson on women's history made a mistake. I am still learning to enjoy what it means to have a book with my name on the cover and my grandmother's pensive portrait on the cover. 

There will be another print run and the error will be fixed. But I will have this reminder and the sinking feeling of making this kind of mistake in something I care about so deeply. But I will also have a lesson on grace for myself and the process of putting one's writing out in the world.



Comments

Thank you for putting your heart out here and into this work. I look forward to reading xxx
Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him. That was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made a promise that anybody I know that has a relationship problem, I would be of help to such a person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. His email: {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com} you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.
1) Love Spells
2) solution and cure to all sickness
3) Herbal Cure for any disease/sickness
4) Marriage Spells
5) Pregnancy spell
6) Breakup Spells
7) Death spell
8.) You want to be promoted in your office
9) want to satisfy your lover
10) Lottery
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
through {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com}

Popular Posts