I study isiXhosa because I can

When people hear me speak English they often ask me where I am from and I tell them I from the Eastern Cape. I have realised over the years that this is a polite way of saying to me, "you're a coconut". I'm in two minds about this identity as it has been thrust upon me by people who are trying to understand me and figure me out.I have never once woken up in the morning and thought "Hmmmm,Thank you God for making me a coconut".But somehow this identity follows me.

Part of what entrenches this identity is the education I have received.Informally, my mother was the first teacher educating me about colonialism, the prophet Nxele, the story of Nongqawuse and underlying many of these stories is the reminder that "abelungu bane-date yokufika apaha eMzantsi,ungayilibali lo nto Baba"(White people have a date of arrival in South Africa and don't ever forget that my baby).I can't judge her for her views as she felt apartheid first hand and knows the limitations that it rendered her which have an effect on her psyche to this day.

My formal education taught me that white people are the custodians of knowledge and all forms of progress, sine qua non!This began to change however when I took isiXhosa Mother Tongue in my 3rd. I thought I was going back to my roots and didn't think I had to justify my choice of subject, but much to my amazement I had a lot of explaining to do hence the next article(which was my first article in the Daily Dispatch!)....http://www.gate5.co.za/Temp/4925806fe5rx245gw5w3q21vqqwzu55.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts